"One Size Fits All"

This picture (left) has circulated around the internet for a few days now. She's gorgeous! Robyn Lawley is 6'2, wears an 11 shoe size, and weighs get ready for this 180. Most girls dream of being around 115-130. But you have to account most of these girls are around 5'5. She has a good half foot plus some accounting for some of the weight. She is a size 12. Most girls want single digits. The picture on the right is from 2012 (just for perspective, she's been here and been gorgeous). People are outraged she is a "plus sized model" as defined by the fashion world anything above a size 10 is "plus sized." Her own words "I'm a model beyond a size 10, I live in New York but my hometown is Australia, I love my job and I believe that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes :D." This gorgeous woman is one of the first "plus sized" women to be involved in a Ralph Lauren add campaign (go her!). The world/men today wants women to be incredibly skinny, fit, and yet still have the breasts of a porn star (pardon my blunt phrasing). This isn't realistic in any way, shape, or form.
I would be right there with her. I'm plus sized. It isn't a secret. I'm not a super cute, super tiny, little skinny mini that Victoria's secret advertises with.
I'm not gonna lie. I wish I was skinnier than I am. I go to the gym, try to eat healthy. It is SO HARD. I'm not about to act like trying to losing weight doesn't suck. Or the fact that most girls have a HORRIBLE body image, I'm not out of that. I'm not confident in my body. I skipped being tiny in middle school. I went straight from kids sized clothing to misses. Juniors clothes have never really fit me. Sometimes they do, but I won't lie, trying to shop for jeans sucks, shopping for formal dresses sucks, shopping for lots of things sucks because they're made for incredibly skinny girls. Even if it says size 8 or 10, it still is made to fit someone with no body fat. Some people genetically aren't made to be a size 2, like me. However lots of us eat ourselves to where we are. I won't deny it, I haven't done everything in my power to get to a medically healthy weight. When I go to the doctor I'm in the "overweight" category it sucks. Girls struggle to be skinnier, prettier, be what boys want so that way we don't think we will die alone with a cat.
I digress, the media likes to categorize everything, gay, straight, male, female, democrat, republican, etc. We categorize. We like everything to be put in a nice neat box. The modeling world looks for women who are 34-24-34 and who are between 5'9 and 6'0. According to wikipedia based on location a 00 is more ideal than a 0 for modeling. HAHAHAHA. JOKES. The few who make it big like the Victoria's Secret Angles, Heidi Klum, Tyra Banks, Kate Upton, etc, they're naturally drop dead gorgeous and bought into the modeling industry. Good for them. I'm not about to say what they do is morally wrong, that's how they make money, fashion week is a beautiful thing, it means the transition of seasons, new clothes, and new colors coming back into fashion. Again, I digress.
I can list on one hand the friends I know who are a size 00. Some of my friends are short, some insanely tall, according to this modeling goal of 34-24-34 they couldn't model because they're a size 4. Yet they're still some of the most beautiful people I know, every one of them. Models are dying of malnutrition and society says "you need to become like these girls." I don't understand. We should be encouraging everyone to be healthy. Healthy for some could be a 00, healthy for others could be a size 8. For Robyn she looks amazing, healthy, and drop dead gorgeous at a size 12. Do you see my point here people? Girls don't fit into the same boxes of categories. We are not one size fits all. We are unique people, we have to learn to accept ourselves, whatever our pant size might be.
As hard and impossible as it seems, love the body you have. Own it. Be yourself, don't let the media tell you what you have to be or look like (as I look in mirror as I say that).
Comments
Post a Comment