What is Trust?
Today I got up and Caroline and I went to Church of the Highlands, the sermon series was on Dealing with Stress. WHERE WAS THAT LAST NIGHT? If you watched the game or were there you understand that stressful is an understatement of the game last night.
But back to church this morning, dealing with stress, the pastor named off a list of things that give you stress: divorce, law troubles, illness, Johnny Manziel. This is so true. However the college student in me goes: exams, only having two exams in one class, friendships, and drama. Either way whatever causes you stress he provided a 5 step scriptural process to help you avoid stress (stay with me, I'm getting to the trust).
1. Worry about nothing. And live one day at a time.
The preacher made the point in the Lords prayer it is "give us this day our DAILY bread" not bread for the rest of the week, month, year, or our lives. Today. He also said that when you worry about something you are borrowing from the future.
Now HOLD UP here mister preacher like what? I'm not time traveling. I was really paying attention to what he had to say next. Worrying is borrowing from the future, or he phrased it another way, worrying about tomorrow is taking you away from today. As a teenage girl now in college (still not used to that fact, I still feel like I'm at camp with classes and grades), PHM (potential husband material) is around EVERYWHERE. It is sometimes really hard to not think 1. do I know my future husband and 2. could that really good looking guy on the other side of chickfila, or the guy near me in theatre is that him, or the guy I met at the game? WHO ARE YOU? Seriously. Every girl does it I can't say how much but we do it. If they say they don't they're lying. But YOLO has a real aspect we should embrace. Living life and loving people the way that Christ commanded us to.
2. Pray about everything. And He cares.
Nothing is too big for God's power, or too small to not be worthy of bringing to God's attention. Also so often I know that prayer is something I go OH WAIT I have an all powerful God on my side I can ask him for help. Instead I should be asking Him for help in everything. Prayer should not be a last resort, it should be our first response to situations. As I've been told more times than I can count college is what molds you for the rest of your life, that's scary. Which makes me think what organizations will help me later in life, who my friends are, it is some scary stuff. Coming into college I have been praying but more out of duty more than asking permission, I've prayed for guidance but not really fully dedicate my college experience to His glory (honesty hour y'all).
3. Think about the right things. My life is shaped by my thoughts.
Still honesty hour, one of my FAVORITE songs is the one that Sandra Bullock sings in The Proposal with Betty White but the full version. I know all the words (sorry mom and dad) and its a really funny/awkward/fun song to dance to (judgement is ok here, but know you're either doing or gonna do or have done this so). However that song has nothing good about it. I thought about that song when the preacher said we needed a filter on our lives, I thought "yeah probably need one of those." But it made me think about the fact I need to really pay attention to what I'm investing time into.
4. Be contented with my things. Christ is enough for me.
Sometimes I know I have expectations for things and end up disappointed because I have expectations of things that will never happen. Back to worrying about tomorrow and not living today or worrying about tonight when you need to finish something today. You need to slow down in life to appreciate the small things, like a third row parking spot after church. That makes me excited. In a material world we always want the latest and greatest thing this means that new iPhone5S that has come out I'm DYING to get because I've been up for an upgrade since June but knew that a new one would come out later on this year so I decided to wait it out... It has been a LONG wait but in a few short days they will be for sale. But Christ should be more important than a new iPhone and I should be content with what I have now but.... That new champagne iPhone sure looks really pretty.
5. Trust God for all things. Trust is born out of real relationship.
Here we go. Where the name of my blog comes from. Trust. I've been a person to easily give trust for a long time. This has caused lots of pain honestly. Trusting someone is normally something that people give over time. I however give you trust upfront and then you lose it. This works in any of my friends favor, this however works against me and my feelings. I will be a good friend until the end, you REALLY have to make me mad to send me over the edge. I've learned that despite the pain I get from trusting people it is one of my better decisions in life. I have fun with friendships while they last and when I meet someone new I'm genuine and that's all I can hope from them.
It seriously sucks getting burned but when you get those other people who are as genuine as you are and you care then it works and you have a great friendship but I'm not going to say it is the best way to live, my grandfather is one to give you small portions of trust and can easily judge character. I see the best in everyone and hope they give me the same benefit.
All of this to say, trust is seriously important to me and I give it easily so once you lose it you have a long, painful, uphill battle that you might not do so well with. But I've also learned from this one sermon that the way to deal with stress also helps you in every other area of life, not just dealing with stress.
But back to church this morning, dealing with stress, the pastor named off a list of things that give you stress: divorce, law troubles, illness, Johnny Manziel. This is so true. However the college student in me goes: exams, only having two exams in one class, friendships, and drama. Either way whatever causes you stress he provided a 5 step scriptural process to help you avoid stress (stay with me, I'm getting to the trust).
1. Worry about nothing. And live one day at a time.
The preacher made the point in the Lords prayer it is "give us this day our DAILY bread" not bread for the rest of the week, month, year, or our lives. Today. He also said that when you worry about something you are borrowing from the future.
Now HOLD UP here mister preacher like what? I'm not time traveling. I was really paying attention to what he had to say next. Worrying is borrowing from the future, or he phrased it another way, worrying about tomorrow is taking you away from today. As a teenage girl now in college (still not used to that fact, I still feel like I'm at camp with classes and grades), PHM (potential husband material) is around EVERYWHERE. It is sometimes really hard to not think 1. do I know my future husband and 2. could that really good looking guy on the other side of chickfila, or the guy near me in theatre is that him, or the guy I met at the game? WHO ARE YOU? Seriously. Every girl does it I can't say how much but we do it. If they say they don't they're lying. But YOLO has a real aspect we should embrace. Living life and loving people the way that Christ commanded us to.
2. Pray about everything. And He cares.
Nothing is too big for God's power, or too small to not be worthy of bringing to God's attention. Also so often I know that prayer is something I go OH WAIT I have an all powerful God on my side I can ask him for help. Instead I should be asking Him for help in everything. Prayer should not be a last resort, it should be our first response to situations. As I've been told more times than I can count college is what molds you for the rest of your life, that's scary. Which makes me think what organizations will help me later in life, who my friends are, it is some scary stuff. Coming into college I have been praying but more out of duty more than asking permission, I've prayed for guidance but not really fully dedicate my college experience to His glory (honesty hour y'all).
3. Think about the right things. My life is shaped by my thoughts.
Still honesty hour, one of my FAVORITE songs is the one that Sandra Bullock sings in The Proposal with Betty White but the full version. I know all the words (sorry mom and dad) and its a really funny/awkward/fun song to dance to (judgement is ok here, but know you're either doing or gonna do or have done this so). However that song has nothing good about it. I thought about that song when the preacher said we needed a filter on our lives, I thought "yeah probably need one of those." But it made me think about the fact I need to really pay attention to what I'm investing time into.
4. Be contented with my things. Christ is enough for me.
Sometimes I know I have expectations for things and end up disappointed because I have expectations of things that will never happen. Back to worrying about tomorrow and not living today or worrying about tonight when you need to finish something today. You need to slow down in life to appreciate the small things, like a third row parking spot after church. That makes me excited. In a material world we always want the latest and greatest thing this means that new iPhone5S that has come out I'm DYING to get because I've been up for an upgrade since June but knew that a new one would come out later on this year so I decided to wait it out... It has been a LONG wait but in a few short days they will be for sale. But Christ should be more important than a new iPhone and I should be content with what I have now but.... That new champagne iPhone sure looks really pretty.
5. Trust God for all things. Trust is born out of real relationship.
Here we go. Where the name of my blog comes from. Trust. I've been a person to easily give trust for a long time. This has caused lots of pain honestly. Trusting someone is normally something that people give over time. I however give you trust upfront and then you lose it. This works in any of my friends favor, this however works against me and my feelings. I will be a good friend until the end, you REALLY have to make me mad to send me over the edge. I've learned that despite the pain I get from trusting people it is one of my better decisions in life. I have fun with friendships while they last and when I meet someone new I'm genuine and that's all I can hope from them.
It seriously sucks getting burned but when you get those other people who are as genuine as you are and you care then it works and you have a great friendship but I'm not going to say it is the best way to live, my grandfather is one to give you small portions of trust and can easily judge character. I see the best in everyone and hope they give me the same benefit.
All of this to say, trust is seriously important to me and I give it easily so once you lose it you have a long, painful, uphill battle that you might not do so well with. But I've also learned from this one sermon that the way to deal with stress also helps you in every other area of life, not just dealing with stress.
Comments
Post a Comment