1st grade isn't supposed to go like this

1st grade, a year of coloring, numbers, trying to make those letters look a little better, and most importantly rainbow reading.

School had just started, as I sat in Mrs. McCall's class something went wrong. My mom who was a teacher at ECS came to ensure I was ok. As a 1st grader I wasn't quite sassy yet so I wasn't embarrassed but we all went in a line upstairs to the church offices and were planted in front of a TV. This wasn't normal. None of us complained about TV during school but then something really wrong happened. I looked up and the TV wasn't something fun and educational it was the news. Something I was very used to seeing on in our house if it wasn't Blue's Clues or Clifford. I saw buildings on fire and planes which I knew my daddy had flown (navigator but as a kid he flew planes in my book). My teacher started to cry and so did my mom. This was odd.

Later on my mom tried to explain that bad men had taken an airplane and crashed them hurting people. As a 1st grader evil is a hard concept to grasp. Life went on for little Sara Marie and I got to keep my daddy home. The same can't be said for thousands of others.

My friends moms, dads, brothers, sisters, all went to war; some didn't come home. Their lives would be forever changed all because of a religious belief that destroying America was the right thing to do- the ultimate sacrifice for belief in god who isn't even real.

As the 10th anniversary of 9/11 came around I knew what had happened. As the anniversaries came and went more and more information unfolded around what happened that day. I saw where the Twin Towers once stood my 8th grade year and thought "wow" I couldn't even imagine buildings being there. It was weird buildings surrounded you then suddenly open space. It was eerie. Back to the 10th anniversary the documentaries rolled on every major news channel and since I finally was of the age to understand what happened I was appalled, we've since lost thousands of lives defending the country we love. We wear red white and blue like it was the plague here on the 4th of July yet we so often forget why we love our country. Not only have men and women died that day running to save lives in the World Trade Center, or the Twin Towers running up the stairs as opposed to down. We've lost many good men and women in battle since that dreadful day.

I sit here and as I see the USA tweets, instagram posts, facebook updates, I can't help but think: I understand today is especially painful for us but where is that love and devotion the 362 days of the year, the other one being Independence Day. We show Veterans support on their day, or support troops on armed forces day; I want to see that love every day.

I said earlier my dad was in the military, he doesn't like social media, or my blog I don't think.... BUT ya know I live in a country where I'm free to express myself (under his close and wonderful guidance since he is getting the bills for college, LOVE YOU DAD). But I don't know what I would have done without him, had he had to go like so many others and not come home. If you know my family you understand sarcasm, witty retorts, and "loud" talking are how we work. But since I've left home my dad is who I love to call and talk to since mom is the one freaking out over frat parties and dad is like "stay smart kid." Either way I'm appreciative of the 25 years and continued work he pours into the men and women who go and fight so I can sit at Auburn University, on my laptop in the AC, typing my thoughts without fear of being harmed.

I'm personally not really affected by what happened today. However as a proud American my heart hurts for all the men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice for me without knowing my name, face, or even about my family. They did it because it was right.

As I sat the rest of that day in my plaid skirt and peter pan collar shirt I had no idea what the fires I saw on TV would do to this beautiful nation.









Comments

Popular Posts