War Eagle

War Eagle.

On Auburn University's campus these are words of greeting, goodbye, something you say after passing hard test, and my personal favorite is during a kick off or as Nova flies around the field.

This past weekend was no exception. As I sat in the student section as a freshman at the Iron Bowl, I couldn't believe I didn't have to pay the insane $200+ dollars for my ticket, all I had to do was get back to Auburn and walk through those student gates.

As I sat in the bleachers before game time I couldn't help but think "please let us win" I couldn't have asked for a better season to come to as a freshman in comparison to last year, I love my Auburn tigers but to see them have a 180 turn around was just amazing.

Finally kick off arrived. My stomach was in knots, I wished I could rip out all the orange strings out of my shaker but I wanted to be part of that huge orange mass waving their flags, I refrained. By some miracle we somehow scored first, we were WINNING, I was like wow, we can do this.

I'm not going to go through this play by play, but at half time I was worried, Alabama was ahead and I was worried. Very worried. My friend's boyfriend said "we need a Cam Newton second half" boy- did we get it.

At the end of the third quarter we were tied. It was anybody's game. I couldn't believe it. I knew they could do it but I went in with the mindset "I want my boys to win, but I don't know if they will, we're a good team but they are too." I'm not about to say Alabama isn't a good team. I know they are, I've grown up listening to people nag me and mock me for being an Auburn fan, "Alabama has 15 championships, and y'all have how many?" "our seniors have more championships than y'all do combined" "ROLL TIDE to ________" ok. I get it YOU LIKE ALABAMA. I however love my Auburn tigers and there's nothing you can do to get me to change.

Fourth quarter. AJ McCarron throws that insane pass to Cooper and Alabama scores (giving credit to where credit is due). They're up 7 now. We still had 10:28 left. We could still win, we just couldn't do this back and forth good defense stuff, we had to score. Nobody scores for the next LONG 8 minutes. Auburn finally scores. Cody Parkey didn't fail us and we were tied 28-28.

Now we had to kick off to Alabama, no, why, we need that ball just once more. We kick it off and there's now only :32 seconds left on the clock. Auburn needed a miracle to win this game and not go into over time. They rush for 9 yards and there's now :07 seconds left on the clock and Alabama calls a time out. AJ passes it and it looks like the game is over when he is taken out of bounds with no time left on the clock. BUT WAIT- one second gets put back on the clock because he stepped out of bounds before time ran out. Auburn calls a time out and there's this one guy in the very back of the end zone, he catches the failed field goal and starts running like it was his job (just so you know I'm now in tears and chills as I write this). Chris Davis runs and runs and runs. There's no time left on the clock, and he gets a touch down. WE GO NUTS. We had been going nuts since he had passed the 30 yard line and it got louder, and louder, and LOUDER. Seriously it will bust your speakers.

We stormed Pat Dye Field at Jordan Hare Stadium like never before. After a minute or two you couldn't even move on the field because all of the Auburn family had gotten onto the field. Then going to Toomers Corner as it got coated in more and more toilet paper, Christmas had come early in Auburn and it was a beautiful white Christmas at that. Auburn got fined $50,000 because it's a rule and safety issue to storm the field (so worth every penny, my tuition will be going towards something good). And then another $25,000 of damage to the field. So bill each student about $3 next month and you're covered. Oh and $10 for Gus' waffle house. We're good.

Words fail me when I watch that last play again, when I think about it. The emotions are unreal. I believe in Auburn and love every inch of it. The friends I've made because of our mutual love for Auburn is unexplainable.

Another thought- I could not believe when Alabama fans decided to boo their own kicker off the field. There are days I think why is ______ on the field? They always do ______ wrong. But NEVER would I boo them off the field. I'm friends with these guys. I know players, they're in my classes, they're my friends. I even got hugged by one today... How could you do that to a friend? You cannot celebrate your championships without every player, you wouldn't have gotten there without special teams. You stand behind every single player. I stand behind Cam Newton as much as I stand behind Nick Marshall and Jeremy Johnson (who sat in front of me in history, just saying) and every other player on that football team. They are all important. They're humans. These are peoples brothers, sons, boyfriends, best friends, how dare some of y'all threaten him with death. I would rather you kill another tree in Auburn than decide to kill one of your players. I miss Toomer's oaks more than words can express, before I get chewed out for that... a tree can be replaced, Adam Griffith and Steven Clark cannot be.

To Adam and Steven,
I'm a die hard Auburn fan, I always will be, but I'm sorry for what your own team has decided to put you through. Y'all don't deserve it. Y'all have the opportunity and blessing to play for one of the greatest football programs in the SEC, congrats. Y'all are under so much pressure I can't even imagine. From me to you- y'all played a hard fought game. I was worried the entire time. Y'all are first class athletes. I wish you the best of luck for the rest of your career at 'Bama and if you go pro.

With all of this said I cannot wait to see my Auburn tigers play this weekend in the SEC championship. Win or lose I couldn't be more proud of my Auburn tigers this season. Y'all are my friends. My family. I promise to be all in ALL the time.

War Eagle, HEY!

Comments

Popular Posts