ADOPT
It was just another Tuesday morning, I had promised myself I would get up early and go for a run, I however slept in and then checked social media. I got up finally let Aubie in from outside, and began to make pancakes. Then the phone rang.
I saw it was my mom and was sure she was calling to make sure I was out of bed. However she asked for a bowl of water to be outside that a dog had followed her on her walk. I figured it had a collar and she was just going to take it to the owner after it cooled off. However it had no collar and was incredibly sweet. I was confused as to why this dog wasn't in someone's home because of how kind it was.
I stayed on our front porch with whom I had now called Abbie. I played with her for about an hour and let her cool down and I fed her, she acted as if she hadn't eaten in days which is when I noticed she had fleas (I'm 99.99% sure). I was broken, somebody left this dog to die. She was SO kind and loving, followed me around and was obedient, and she LOVES car rides.
I called my mom and asked if I could bring her in the house and just have her in my room. I got a no, I leave for college in 3 days and my parents didn't want a third dog right now. I was told to take her to the Humane Society.
If you know me I LOVE ANIMALS. I would have a rescue mission based out of my house if I could. I BALLED all the way to the humane society. When I say BALLED I mean it. Like Dez from the bachelorette after Brooks left but like 10 times worse. I was a mess. Abbie just sat in the passenger seat and looked at me like I was crazy and crawled into my lap. This sweet girl didn't know what was going to happen. I parked at the Humane Society and I lost it even more if that was even possible. I walked into the pet deposit and was still crying, eyes incredibly puffy, and wanting to cling to Abbie for dear life, I didn't want to hand her over.
There was an elderly lady who saw me balling my eyes out and Abbie walked up to her and started to kiss her, this lady couldn't understand why someone dumped this sweet girl either. She told me I had done the right thing but that couldn't stop me from not wanting to cry and just take her back home myself.
I gave the man at the desk my information as I cried and he probably thought it was my dog, it wasn't really my dog but I sure want to make sure I'm that dogs guardian angel and do everything I could to make sure it didn't end up dead. He collected my information and said "that's all I need" and walked around to get the leash from me. Handing him that leash is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Only a little over an hour with this sweet baby girl and I was already in love with her.
All of this said, I don't know why I needed to be broken down like this right before I go to Auburn. All I can think is God finds us straying on the sidewalk and we decide to follow him home (to Jesus) and he cleans us up and takes care of us. Even as I write this I'm still crying, I want to go back and adopt Abbie back, but I know deep down someone will love her and take care of her once she goes up for adoption.
I don't think I will ever get a dog from a breeder again. I think I'm forever going to get pound babies and give a dog like Abbie a forever home.
I saw it was my mom and was sure she was calling to make sure I was out of bed. However she asked for a bowl of water to be outside that a dog had followed her on her walk. I figured it had a collar and she was just going to take it to the owner after it cooled off. However it had no collar and was incredibly sweet. I was confused as to why this dog wasn't in someone's home because of how kind it was.
I stayed on our front porch with whom I had now called Abbie. I played with her for about an hour and let her cool down and I fed her, she acted as if she hadn't eaten in days which is when I noticed she had fleas (I'm 99.99% sure). I was broken, somebody left this dog to die. She was SO kind and loving, followed me around and was obedient, and she LOVES car rides.
I called my mom and asked if I could bring her in the house and just have her in my room. I got a no, I leave for college in 3 days and my parents didn't want a third dog right now. I was told to take her to the Humane Society.
If you know me I LOVE ANIMALS. I would have a rescue mission based out of my house if I could. I BALLED all the way to the humane society. When I say BALLED I mean it. Like Dez from the bachelorette after Brooks left but like 10 times worse. I was a mess. Abbie just sat in the passenger seat and looked at me like I was crazy and crawled into my lap. This sweet girl didn't know what was going to happen. I parked at the Humane Society and I lost it even more if that was even possible. I walked into the pet deposit and was still crying, eyes incredibly puffy, and wanting to cling to Abbie for dear life, I didn't want to hand her over.
There was an elderly lady who saw me balling my eyes out and Abbie walked up to her and started to kiss her, this lady couldn't understand why someone dumped this sweet girl either. She told me I had done the right thing but that couldn't stop me from not wanting to cry and just take her back home myself.
I gave the man at the desk my information as I cried and he probably thought it was my dog, it wasn't really my dog but I sure want to make sure I'm that dogs guardian angel and do everything I could to make sure it didn't end up dead. He collected my information and said "that's all I need" and walked around to get the leash from me. Handing him that leash is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Only a little over an hour with this sweet baby girl and I was already in love with her.
All of this said, I don't know why I needed to be broken down like this right before I go to Auburn. All I can think is God finds us straying on the sidewalk and we decide to follow him home (to Jesus) and he cleans us up and takes care of us. Even as I write this I'm still crying, I want to go back and adopt Abbie back, but I know deep down someone will love her and take care of her once she goes up for adoption.
I don't think I will ever get a dog from a breeder again. I think I'm forever going to get pound babies and give a dog like Abbie a forever home.

Comments
Post a Comment