A Whole New World
As a somewhat sheltered kid college is like going through a portal into a whole new world (insert Disney's Little Mermaid song here). But there are some things that just watching on TV and experiencing are two very different things.
First, going through rush is not nearly as bad as TV, older women, and the rest of the world makes it seem. I won't deny it was hard being dropped by sororities I thought are ones I needed to be in, however, on the other side I couldn't be happier where I am. If you can survive wearing heels all day, making small talk, and repeating the same conversation multiple times a day you will be fine. At least at the school I attend, I can't speak for any others.
As any student knows frat houses are in following the stereotype epicenters for alcohol. That's something the world didn't lie about. Guys tried to impress girls by drinking as much as they can in as little time as possible. I laughed and thought they were idiots. That however isn't new, guys do some of the oddest things to impress girls, no lie.
I experienced my first full college experience this week, I went to classes then I went to my first frat party. I can proudly say I didn't have anything to drink besides water and dr. pepper, I repeat NO drinks (shocker right since all sheltered kids go crazy once they get to college right?). That's not to say I wasn't offered more to drink than I can remember, but I would rather remember the name of the guy I danced with than forget the entire night or only have snap shots. Now you must be thinking this girl didn't have any fun at these parties. NOT TRUE! I had a BLAST.
The world says you can't have fun without drinking. I've had some of my best memories 100% sober. I met so many new people, talked, danced, and had a great time at a frat house who had a live band. I danced with someone I had just met and sang along to songs I'd never heard of but caught onto by the end, tried to talk over the music, and it was some of the most fun. I might have even gotten/given some new numbers for some pretty good looking guys. AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO DRINK! Shocker right?!?
College doesn't have to be all about drinking, some make it that way. I however am determined to have fun without it. So far I'm golden. This isn't to say later on I won't drink, but for now I'm enjoying the memories I'm making. This new world is sometimes scary and I don't know how to handle some situations but that comes with a new adventure. You explore, you see where you like it and sometimes have to go outside your comfort zone. I'm excited to see what the world of college has to offer me.
First, going through rush is not nearly as bad as TV, older women, and the rest of the world makes it seem. I won't deny it was hard being dropped by sororities I thought are ones I needed to be in, however, on the other side I couldn't be happier where I am. If you can survive wearing heels all day, making small talk, and repeating the same conversation multiple times a day you will be fine. At least at the school I attend, I can't speak for any others.
As any student knows frat houses are in following the stereotype epicenters for alcohol. That's something the world didn't lie about. Guys tried to impress girls by drinking as much as they can in as little time as possible. I laughed and thought they were idiots. That however isn't new, guys do some of the oddest things to impress girls, no lie.
I experienced my first full college experience this week, I went to classes then I went to my first frat party. I can proudly say I didn't have anything to drink besides water and dr. pepper, I repeat NO drinks (shocker right since all sheltered kids go crazy once they get to college right?). That's not to say I wasn't offered more to drink than I can remember, but I would rather remember the name of the guy I danced with than forget the entire night or only have snap shots. Now you must be thinking this girl didn't have any fun at these parties. NOT TRUE! I had a BLAST.
The world says you can't have fun without drinking. I've had some of my best memories 100% sober. I met so many new people, talked, danced, and had a great time at a frat house who had a live band. I danced with someone I had just met and sang along to songs I'd never heard of but caught onto by the end, tried to talk over the music, and it was some of the most fun. I might have even gotten/given some new numbers for some pretty good looking guys. AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO DRINK! Shocker right?!?
College doesn't have to be all about drinking, some make it that way. I however am determined to have fun without it. So far I'm golden. This isn't to say later on I won't drink, but for now I'm enjoying the memories I'm making. This new world is sometimes scary and I don't know how to handle some situations but that comes with a new adventure. You explore, you see where you like it and sometimes have to go outside your comfort zone. I'm excited to see what the world of college has to offer me.
Comments
Post a Comment