Thankful for a sink



You might just see a kitchen sink, but I see love. If you know my dad he will help anyone, even if it means the shirt off his back. Yesterday my dad took off half a day to come and help me around the house. The fun of being a homeowner is that the projects never stop. He didn’t have to, nor was I expecting it. He originally told me he’d come up after work to install a new washing machine for me (blessed by my grandmother for her upgrading and I got the “old” 1.5 year old one). I also got her old sink (again she upgraded), and dad and I went and picked out a new faucet. He didn’t have to take a half-day and then us slave over the stink until 7:30, because if you've done a project you know it's never quite as easy or simple as you expect. But good memories were made, like the grossest water dripping on me from the sink drain, or crawling under the sink to attach clamps to hold it in place. I can now say I could probably replace a sink and do it on my own and hook up a disposal and the pipes. I’m thankful for a dad who makes sure my gas tank is full, teaches me all he knows about home improvement, and how he makes sure my house is left better than he found it, and takes a half-day to hang out with me and work on my projects. 

But dad isn't the only person to thank, my mom has had a huge hand in helping me with the house this summer. This summer my parents gave up weekends galore, when it was beautiful lake weather, to help me remodel the guest bathroom. My mom is jokingly the "project manager" in all things home improvement and she helped with all of the tedious tile work for the subway tile shower. It's beautiful and I'm so thankful. 

This has been a very weird season of life. But I'm thankful for it and my parents. I was raised by two very independent people who often have lots of things and people depending on them, I caught that gene naturally. However, with being self-employed I've had to reach out for help recently and I'm on the search for a full-time job, not that I don't love tutoring, but life has seasons and this one is changing. But I'm thankful for parents who help in any way I need and sometimes without me even asking. It's an odd season but a good season and I can't wait to see what the new season of life brings. 

So tell someone you're thankful for them and be thankful for the little things, like a kitchen sink. 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts