Words of kindness

Hello!!!! Long time, no new blog post..... Life happens, right? I am finishing up the annual Klucking Christmas letter, but, I wanted to share this little tidbit first. There will also be more to come, I just haven't had as much time to dedicate as I wish.

Today's words of wisdom:

Words have meaning, they have an impact, and the screen you're on doesn't save you from what you say.

I am not the person to comment and have a comment with anyone on Facebook, IG, or much else. I learned some lessons in high school and well, I just shut up and keep to myself now. It's not my favorite time killer to interact with strangers and have them only judge them for the words that they have, they don't know my tone, humor, or much else, even texting can be taken the wrong way. But still, interacting on Facebook comments is not something I thought I'd never do.

Well, that was until the other day.

I saw on Spanx's website an ad that featured an Atlanta blogger I follow. (Shameless plug for her here, she's adorable and sweet and has AMAZING fashion taste. An added bonus is that most items she shares are at an affordable price point most of the time, and if not she shares dupes for a lower price, basically this poor girls queen when it comes to staying current.) She is adorable and petite and pregnant(!!). I have never met her in my life, but I have read and followed her daily outings on Instagram for about a year now. But someone commented on her adorable photo "This person does not look pregnant" normally I would've ignored it, because yes, she is petite, and she doesn't look like she has a watermelon under her shirt in the photo, but also she dressed for her body and she wore vertical stripes and a sweater to offset the belly. A smart and adorable outfit for anyone, but it didn't purposely accentuate her adorable bump.

But what I did know that this random commenter didn't (and proceed to sob at when reading her blog), was her struggle to conceive that baby that someone decided wasn't there. I've never met Brittany, I probably never will meet her little girl Collins, or her husband Chris. But after reading her struggle, the many struggles of those who I am friends with, and others who I know have their hearts breaking in silence, I couldn't help but say something to defend the fact that yes she is pregnant.

Even others have commented since saying things along the likes of "coffee in hand, that causes too much heartburn" or "it's a food baby" or someone decided to list off a list of reasons how her photo was unrealistic. I wanted to scream. As I said earlier, I've followed Brittany's fashion Instagram page Loverly Grey for a year, and since her business is social media, she posts constantly, she truly loves coffee even in her pregnancy, she does leave the house tons, and she almost always looks cute and put together because it is her job. So yes, maybe she isn't having a pregnancy like what some women have, but she's having HER pregnancy.

Social media has taught us to judge on a photo alone. No background, no context, just what people decide to show us. Someone could have a "*heartfelt and happy caption*" and be suffering beyond your wildest dreams behind that photo. I saw this with my 7th graders last year of lacking empathy and lacking the awareness of the words they were typing that are permanent on the internet. I stuck up for someone who I've never met, probably won't meet, but would do it all over again. Because I know that those words can hurt and can have a lasting impression.

But back to the main point, it's an advertisement for a company who literally makes money for MAKING WOMEN LOOK SKINNIER. It isn't like Spanx hides the fact their entire company exists to suck away all the things we don't like about our bodies. I'm on the curvy side and I'm aware of it, I am not offended by them picking a fit woman who is also pregnant advertise their leggings, it's their company, their brand, it's their prerogative to advertise as they wish. Not to mention, after perusing through their other photos they've posted they're not shying away from "ordinary" or curvy women either. Brittany is normal, I know many women who are petite and are naturally, I also know others who struggle with weight. Why can't we encourage each other instead of seeing someone looking happy for a photo and be like "wow good for her" instead of saying "that's unrealistic."

All of this said, your words carry weight. Good, bad, and ugly. Make your words count for filling someone else up, not tearing them down.

Merry Christmas!!!!!! 

Sara Marie


Comments

Popular Posts