Rush-don't rush through it!

In a month Auburn sororities will begin to prepare for one of the craziest, most estrogen filled, tear filled, scream filled weeks of the year- Rush.

If you're a boy just be there to comfort girls and don't give them opinions about rush - you don't matter this week your opinion of the "hottest girls are in ____" "they're lame" whatever. Sisters before misters, bows before bros, etc. They will be there when you're not or you've broken our hearts. So listen to us cry, scream, whatever and offer them chocolate. THATS IT.  

My rush week wasn't as emotion charged as some you hear about - I wasn't a legacy (directly- my cousin's sister was a DZ). I didn't cry or scream after getting my bid - I was thrilled to get a bid - but I wasn't the girl crying hugging everybody and with the super emotional entrance. 

I had my share of ups and downs through the week though.... 

To start off with you meet your Pi Chi group and your Pi Chi- LOVE HER (I know mine was AWESOME), I had the best Pi Chi (every other girl would say she had the best one, yours really is the best) they literally pick the best of the best and have them guide you through this week. They don't force their sorority on you and they are there to help you with anything - mints, safety pins, bandaids, etc. also they're great listeners. 

Before you get to rush week tips I would've wish I knew: 

1. get your nails done A NATURAL COLOR. Do a french manicure or a nude. It goes with EVERYTHING, and also I know some sororities make you take it off for initiation (don't wanna pay $40 for a week, at least I wouldn't)

2. get your hair, eyebrows, tanning, whatever done a week before- if you hate it you can change it, if you're orange it can mellow out, etc. you can love it or hate it and leave it or change it. You have time. 

3. be yourself. don't think you have to act smarter, dumber, granola, preppy, etc. to fit in, every sorority has a mix of everything, yes, some are stereotyped, but I can honestly say I have friends in them all so you can't judge a book by one girl (good or bad), or stereotype. be you and be open minded to them all. 

4. bid night will be terrifying (or at least I was). I was PETRIFIED on bid night. I had just had a week of all girl bonding (something I didn't do in high school- I had mostly guy friends). I didn't know anyone directly that night, we played break the ice games (so awkward, just embrace it), and it was just terrifying to me- AND I'M SOCIAL. Idk what to tell you. I can make friends with a wall- that night I was terrified- I can remember texting a friend and telling them (who had been my sanity all week) I was gonna drop. I'm SO glad they told me not to and to give it time. Just know it gets better and that the awkwardness will end and you will learn everybody's names. 

5. Don't talk to anybody at Auburn about rush. I know it sounds strange but hear me out- I know you love your best friend from high school who you're roomies with and the "OMG RUSH WEEK IS SO GREAT WITH YOU <3" caption on instagram. You might HATE a sorority she LOVES or vice versa, or you could end up in the same one- regardless. Text your mom, your best friend at a different school, or just journal your feelings about sororities. You don't wanna say "I think _____ is a dumb sorority" and your friend or someone in your Pi Chi group love it (your Pi Chi will also tell you to not talk about specific ones in the group). 

6. write down more than I did about sororities all I did was stars, hearts, and x's by them. it made deciding SO HARD cause I couldn't remember much. but what I would say is write down who you talked to (if you remember their name) but if you don't remember that write down how you felt in the room, if you felt at home, awkward, or if it wasn't your place. those are the things you need to remember. also make a sticky note of every sorority and put it on your wall. as the week goes by start to make a pyramid of which you like best it helped me visualize everything and take down ones that you don't go to later on in the week. 

7. you might get the one sorority you loved at the beginning of the week, you might not. I LOVED a completely different sorority until they dropped me before pref day. I was crushed. I had already texted my best friend saying "I'm gonna be an _____" and was stoked. LOL I was wrong. I got two sororities back I liked and one I wasn't so crazy about. I went to all three and then it was a toss up between the two. Obviously DZ offered me a bid and the rest is history. Don't get your hopes up early on I know legacies that don't get into their houses - things can change and one day you can feel one thing and then get a completely different feeling. Thats ok and normal. 

8. Don't rush through it all - one of my closest friends was a friend I made from my pi chi group. we bonded over nail polish. No joke. She said "we're gonna be friends" after I said I loved nail polish in a break the ice game and she was right. You'll probably have classes with them so don't make enemies, some girls will act cooler than you once they get their bid- ok. Don't be that though - your letters don't define who you are - you do. 

A year later I couldn't tell you how much sorority life has changed me. I've had days I wanted to run away and drop. Others I couldn't tell you how much I loved it. Like all good things you have good days and bad (ask married old couples, they'll tell you its work but worth it). Delta Zeta has been one of the biggest and best parts of my life. I've made best friends I wouldn't have any other way, and when people tell you "you pay for your friends" I just have to laugh and say "I don't pay enough because they're my therapists, wedding planners, designers, assistants, match makers, sanity when I have none left, body guards, wing woman, etc." 

Joining greek life has been one of the best decisions - I wish anybody going through an incredible experience and just know that some of your greatest adventures await the other side of rush with your new sisters (also new member retreats are awkward embrace it and make friends).  

If nothing else remember this : BE YOURSELF, we (all Panhellenic sororities) want to impress you to make you want us, don't act to fit into us - we want the best for you! 


Comments

Popular Posts