{ w o r d s }
Words: a string of these pairings of letters make a sentence, make up thoughts, make up books, make or break people.
Words are power.
Words are power. Just think about that. Hitler wouldn't have been powerful without his speeches that got thousands to follow him and believe in what he did. Jesus wouldn't have had the (ok bear with me, this isn't blaspheme I promise) power he did without his words and his actions (which is God's word, so see, all good). To be honest if Obama weren't so good with a teleprompter he wouldn't be president; so props to the speech writers who write in circles and don't actually deal with the issue at hand and Obama just knows how to present well- way to go (*steps off political soap box*).
I've been really sick all week, something is very wrong with my digestive system and it's really starting to irritate me along with having a stomach problem its just been a week. But I had the opportunity to see how words have power seeing that my brain isn't able to focus on school work much.
For example:
1. I slept for 7 hours today. (also why I'm up at 3am writing this) but several friends thought I had died.... I wasn't responding to snapchats, texts, facebook, tweets, nothing. I was passed out and couldn't tell you what happened from around 9:30-4:30ish. It was scary for some.
My lack of words had power over others.
2. I finally got around to reading The Fault in Our Stars (which is soon to be a movie which I will go to and BALL my eyes out like a baby). I've never cried or felt so much for a character in a long time, I'm totally the girl who picks a fictional character (or two) to marry and who gets entirely too invested into the book. Growing up books were my friends, as an only child I spent a lot of time by myself, I was fine with it (I still LOVE alone time), my imagination was my friend. Books were my friends, I could explore mysteries with Nancy Drew, be a teenager with a double life as a spy in a book series I adored in 5th grade but now can't remember, or explore with the Box Car Children. Books are powerful.
Words create fiction with meaning.
3. Texting. That's my main mean of communication. I can tell you I've called one of my best friends twice in our entire relationship. TWICE. Ok. We text every day almost all day but calling is so a thing of the past, (I'd love to write letters but I don't think I'll be getting that wish sadly). Words that are forever buried on some computer somewhere with the NSA laughing at my cravings of real bread (I'm now really allergic to gluten), donuts, pasta, corn bread, and chickfila DEEP FRIED nuggets. Things in life you never thought you would miss until you can't have them. An aside, but these simple little messages we send can be so incredibly powerful. You can tell someone anything you like without having to deal with them actually reacting to your face. Such a cop out in some areas of life if you ask me.
I've made my point. Words have meaning, power, and control.
I've been affected in many ways by words this week- by my INCREDIBLE DZ sisters showing me the utmost encouragement and support as I've been sick, willing to take me to the doctor, sending me the funniest snap chats ever, offering to bring me anything I needed under the sun, and texting me "hey I love you too much, you're not allowed to be dead." Seriously love them.
I've also been affected by words in that incredible book by John Green. Enough said. So good.
But I've also been hurt deeply by words this week, if you know me well you know I'm about as soft as they come. I cry during some episodes of NCIS and NCIS:LA (no shame), I'll cry EVERY time during The Notebook and A Walk to Remember, and every single Nicholas Sparks book (I torture myself with those, I really do). I cannot stand horror movies, as much as I try to tolerate them I just can't, I don't understand people who love them. Not my cup of tea. Basically I get emotionally connected and involved and I'm just "soft."
But sometimes words go too far. Actions speak louder than words is something I've heard my entire life, but I've also been told "from out of the abundance of your heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34. I'll take some liberties here.... "what you're thinking in your head comes out through your fingers/tongue." Even in joking words can hurt, deeply. Sometimes I think actions don't speak louder than words because acting is such an easy task that the words you say- can yes be faked easily- but are often truthful that it is what you truly believe. Actions can be done absent minded and with no meaning. Thought goes into words.
All of this to say, next time, before you say a mean joke about someone, say a comment about a girl's outfit, or decide "hey- lets mess with _____" you don't know what that person is going through and how your words could effect them (guilty as charged on all accounts here- I'm not above par). I know this week I've experienced the two ends of words and how powerful they can be. Which would you want to be?
Words are power.
Words are power. Just think about that. Hitler wouldn't have been powerful without his speeches that got thousands to follow him and believe in what he did. Jesus wouldn't have had the (ok bear with me, this isn't blaspheme I promise) power he did without his words and his actions (which is God's word, so see, all good). To be honest if Obama weren't so good with a teleprompter he wouldn't be president; so props to the speech writers who write in circles and don't actually deal with the issue at hand and Obama just knows how to present well- way to go (*steps off political soap box*).
I've been really sick all week, something is very wrong with my digestive system and it's really starting to irritate me along with having a stomach problem its just been a week. But I had the opportunity to see how words have power seeing that my brain isn't able to focus on school work much.
For example:
1. I slept for 7 hours today. (also why I'm up at 3am writing this) but several friends thought I had died.... I wasn't responding to snapchats, texts, facebook, tweets, nothing. I was passed out and couldn't tell you what happened from around 9:30-4:30ish. It was scary for some.
My lack of words had power over others.
2. I finally got around to reading The Fault in Our Stars (which is soon to be a movie which I will go to and BALL my eyes out like a baby). I've never cried or felt so much for a character in a long time, I'm totally the girl who picks a fictional character (or two) to marry and who gets entirely too invested into the book. Growing up books were my friends, as an only child I spent a lot of time by myself, I was fine with it (I still LOVE alone time), my imagination was my friend. Books were my friends, I could explore mysteries with Nancy Drew, be a teenager with a double life as a spy in a book series I adored in 5th grade but now can't remember, or explore with the Box Car Children. Books are powerful.
Words create fiction with meaning.
3. Texting. That's my main mean of communication. I can tell you I've called one of my best friends twice in our entire relationship. TWICE. Ok. We text every day almost all day but calling is so a thing of the past, (I'd love to write letters but I don't think I'll be getting that wish sadly). Words that are forever buried on some computer somewhere with the NSA laughing at my cravings of real bread (I'm now really allergic to gluten), donuts, pasta, corn bread, and chickfila DEEP FRIED nuggets. Things in life you never thought you would miss until you can't have them. An aside, but these simple little messages we send can be so incredibly powerful. You can tell someone anything you like without having to deal with them actually reacting to your face. Such a cop out in some areas of life if you ask me.
I've made my point. Words have meaning, power, and control.
I've been affected in many ways by words this week- by my INCREDIBLE DZ sisters showing me the utmost encouragement and support as I've been sick, willing to take me to the doctor, sending me the funniest snap chats ever, offering to bring me anything I needed under the sun, and texting me "hey I love you too much, you're not allowed to be dead." Seriously love them.
I've also been affected by words in that incredible book by John Green. Enough said. So good.
But I've also been hurt deeply by words this week, if you know me well you know I'm about as soft as they come. I cry during some episodes of NCIS and NCIS:LA (no shame), I'll cry EVERY time during The Notebook and A Walk to Remember, and every single Nicholas Sparks book (I torture myself with those, I really do). I cannot stand horror movies, as much as I try to tolerate them I just can't, I don't understand people who love them. Not my cup of tea. Basically I get emotionally connected and involved and I'm just "soft."
But sometimes words go too far. Actions speak louder than words is something I've heard my entire life, but I've also been told "from out of the abundance of your heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34. I'll take some liberties here.... "what you're thinking in your head comes out through your fingers/tongue." Even in joking words can hurt, deeply. Sometimes I think actions don't speak louder than words because acting is such an easy task that the words you say- can yes be faked easily- but are often truthful that it is what you truly believe. Actions can be done absent minded and with no meaning. Thought goes into words.
All of this to say, next time, before you say a mean joke about someone, say a comment about a girl's outfit, or decide "hey- lets mess with _____" you don't know what that person is going through and how your words could effect them (guilty as charged on all accounts here- I'm not above par). I know this week I've experienced the two ends of words and how powerful they can be. Which would you want to be?
Comments
Post a Comment