My Soapbox

As an english education major I get jokes like: "all you're ever gonna do is correct grammar" "you know they don't make much money right?" "your major is a joke" "you might as well start welfare now"

First off, you wouldn't be at college without having an english major teach you how to form the sentences to insult me. I could stop there, however, I'm not going to.

Second, I could teach the next scientist who finds out the cure to cancer, the next president, or the person who unlocks air travel for all (that would THRILL me, flying to school everyday? yes please). You're that kid who might go on to greatness, but without me you would be nothing because you can't make any progress if you can't articulate what you want to say.

Next, what makes you think that your science major is any better? Just because you're better at science than me doesn't mean you're better than me. If we lived like that the world would be socially inept. Now I'm glad there are doctors or chemists, don't get me wrong, but lets be honest, the fact that some people want to cut others open for a living is weird and creepy, but necessary just like those awkward people who create medicines and bombs to defend our country. Ok. So EVERYONE IS NECESSARY TO OUR WORLD SURVIVING.

Lastly, actually I could go on longer, but as to keep an audience I'll keep it short. Please for the love of it, just because I'm not a science major like everyone thinks I should be keep this in mind: I want to go to law school to become a lawyer, BUT if God has other plans for me I can teach and I have a job to fall back onto if I'm not able to attend law school. So yes I LOVE english, don't get me wrong, but I'm not bad at science I actually quite enjoyed it and WAS a chemistry major. So please before you decide to call me inept and telling me my career is a waste remember these things: 1. I will be teaching your kids. Somebody has to educate your kids so they don't end up robbing banks and running the streets amuck and I'm WILLING to deal with your kids in the teenage years while you go to work and sit at a desk crunching numbers, or mixing chemicals. 2. You got here with an english teacher. You couldn't read this without one. Don't forget where you came from, you weren't always this much of a jerk (actually you could which is unfortunate but thats why I'm writing this). 3. Teachers have job security. There will always be schools in need of a teacher, it might not be with the best paycheck, the best neighborhood, or the city I want, but God's path is far greater than the zero's attached at the end of the paycheck I'll get once I start to teach.

Comments

Popular Posts